Wharfedale & Aireborough Logo

The “New" Guiseley Methodist Church – forty years on

Guiseley Church

Methodism came to Guiseley through the travelling preachers of the Leeds circuit, when Guiseley was a small community of cottages, the occupants very poor. At first the meetings were held outdoors or in people’s homes. The first Primitive Methodist chapel opened in 1843, the first Wesleyan Methodist chapel in 1814, and premises were enlarged many times to welcome the Guiseley townspeople over the years. The Trinity Wesleyan Chapel on Oxford Road was opened in 1896 and the Providence Chapel in Leeds Road, in 1877.

Trinity and Providence amalgamated in 1966 and became Guiseley Methodist Church, based in the old stone Trinity Chapel and Sunday school.

Eventually these old buildings succumbed to the ravages of time and a decision was made to demolish Trinity Chapel and Sunday School, and build new premises.

The new Guiseley Methodist Church was opened in 1986 after a great deal of hard work and prayer and fundraising from a great many people led by Revd Leslie Holmes.

On the weekend of 7 and 8 March this year we at GMC (now part of the Chevin Church) celebrated its 40th Anniversary. Saturday evening featured a quiz about the last 40 years, together with a traditional Yorkshire pie and pea supper and a fine display of photographs from the past.

On Sunday our celebratory service was led by Revd Nick Baker who was our Minister 15 years ago, followed by coffee and cake with endless reminiscences in the hall.

What a lovely weekend!

Anne North

Get In Touch

Wharfedale & Aireborough Methodist Circuit ℅ Menston Methodist Church
Main Street, Menston
LS29 6AH

07544 165040
circuitmanager@wandamethodists.org.uk

Circuit Map

© 2026 – Wharfedale & Aireborough Methodist Circuit
Registered Charity no. 1132357